Building and Construction
Australia has one of the highest construction costs of any country in the world and building disputes are prevalent and costly. These two factors make it sensible to get expert legal advice at the early phase of any project and getting that guidance from lawyers who are also well versed in resolving disputes arising from badly drafted construction contracts makes even more sense.
Specialists On Your Side
Makinson d'Apice offers a team with expert knowledge in building and construction. We have an exceptional record of achieving results for our clients – from ensuring that contracts are written to provide maximum protection, through to resolving disputes often through negotiation instead of litigation.
We have detailed knowledge of how building and construction projects operate, the pressures that cause them to go wrong, the laws that govern the industry and the perspective the courts are taking in applying them.
We have senior lawyers with wide industry experience. Our team draws on substantial experience advising on building defects in strata buildings.
The practice has a particular specialty in representing Owners Corporations and Community Associations in building and insurance claims, including building defect claims and home owners warranty insurance claims. Working together with our Strata and Community Title Practice and drawing upon the practice's wealth of experience in acting for these clients, we ensure that clients receive practical and complete advice and representation.
- Owners' corporations
- Community associations
- Property owners
- Builders and associated professionals
- Charities and not-for-profit organisations
- Government agencies
Some of our clients:
- Owners corporations ranging from 10 - +300 Lot Schemes
- Entrepreneurial developers and small-mid tier builders with a specialist focus on residential construction
- Alternative dispute resolution
- Breach of contract
- Building defect claims
- Contract advisory services including preparation of contracts
- Construction disputes
- Home owners' warranty insurance claims
- Managing contractor agreements
- Mediation and settlement negotiations
- Payment disputes
- Professional negligence claims (against construction and building professionals, engineers, certifiers, surveyors, architects, project managers and sub-contractors among others)
- Security of payment claims